Vital Social Issues n' Stuff with Kelley Anne

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Let's Talk Buskers


Mary Catherine and I headed down to the waterfront Monday night for the Busker Festival. When I first heard of the buskers I thought it was like a whole lotta people set up with guitars, accordians, fiddles and such playing their wares-- but it's actually a lot more about street performance: dance, drum, comedy, acrobatics etc.

We saw:

White Rabbit: three guys from the Bronx drumming on a pail, dancing and doing tricks-- "the helicopter" rocked... but they lost points with me for vulgarity.

These Australian dudes with a didgeridoo and flaming numchucks: very mellow and mystical with cool fire tricks.

Alakazam: who I saw two years ago and remains quite the wonder. He fits his whole body through a squash racquet.

My favourites from the past have included "The Daredevil Chicken Club" whose opening act included spitting bananas back and forth at eachother while shouting "Danger! Danger!", which was hilarious, and the Halifax based drum team "Squid".

It's on til the 20th so let me know if there's other acts that are worth catching!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm inspired!
I'm hoping to go to the Waterloo Buskerfest and catch some quality acts!

1:13 AM  
Blogger Terra said...

sounds awesome.

1:30 PM  
Blogger A fighter said...

I've actually met the Aussies... there were at the hotel, and I had the opportunity to chat with them.. great guys! Not to mention, hot accent!! Have you seen Silver Elvis??? yeah he totally stayed at the hotel!! Sooo cool!

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home