Vital Social Issues n' Stuff with Kelley Anne

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Cute Meet




Is it me or are too many people falling in love and getting engaged these days? I'm counting four in the last three weeks... maybe there's more! So a tribute to meeting that special someone. My favourite "cute meet" in a movie:
Meet Joe Black, the "coffee shop scene".



COFFEE SHOP, NEW YORK CITY - DAY


A thriving eatery diagonally across from the hospital'sentrance, customers cheek-by-jowl as a pair of waitersjuggle breakfasts served to a noisy throng of doctors,residents and interns.Susan has squeezed into a seat in the corner. A counterman,with a smile and a greeting, places a cup of coffee in frontof her. A sense this is a daily ritual, arming herself forthe day; immediately she becomes aware of a man behind herspeaking into the pay phone.An attractive YOUNG MAN, early 30's, a pair of suitcase athis feet, a raincoat slung over his shoulder.


YOUNG MAN ...Honey, you've got to go on... there's a time to sow and a time to reap, you sow now and forget about him... yeah, I liked him, I don't like him anymore... because you're my honey and anybody messes with you messes with me -- I'm on a plane in a minute... as soon as I get my phone in, you're my first call, that's a promise... where you going now?... good, hit the books, get that degree, one day we'll hang out a shingle together... you bet, honey... later.


The Young Man hangs up, turns around and sits down to anoverflowing plate of eggs and meat, potatoes and toast, thecounterman refills his cup and the Young Man ties into thebreakfast, eating it with such relish that Susan can't takeher eyes off him. He senses her eyes, glances over, hischeeks filled with a mouthful of food, swallows embarrassedly.

YOUNG MAN Good morning, I was talking kind of loud there, sorry.


SUSAN Not at all. It was fascinating.


YOUNG MAN Oh yeah? What was 'fascinating' about it?


SUSAN You and 'Honey'?


YOUNG MAN My kid sister. She just broke up with her boyfriend and she's thinking about dropping out of law school.


SUSAN I'm sorry --


YOUNG MAN Nothing to be sorry about. That's the way with men and women, isn't it?


SUSAN What's the way?


YOUNG MAN Nothing lasts.


SUSAN I agree --


YOUNG MAN Why?


SUSAN I was just being agreeable, now I've got to explain why?


YOUNG MAN I'm not trying to sharpshoot you, but that 'nothing lasts' stuff, that's what was the trouble with Honey's guy. He was fooling around and Honey caught him at it. One girlfriend wasn't enough for him.


SUSAN So you're a one-girl guy?


YOUNG MAN Damn right. Looking for her right now. Who knows? You might be her


Susan laughs.


YOUNG MAN (cont'd) Well, don't laugh. I just arrived in town, got a new job -- I'm trying to get into this apartment. You a doctor?


SUSAN How'd you know?


YOUNG MAN Everybody's a doctor around here. This apartment house is all green pajamas and slippers. The guy I'm waiting for to vacate is a doctor. What kind of doctor?


SUSAN Me? Internal medicine.


The Young Man smiles.


YOUNG MAN So if I needed a doctor, you could be it?


SUSAN I could be her.


YOUNG MAN 'Her'.


A moment.


SUSAN Yes, I could. (a moment) I have an office in the hospital.


YOUNG MAN -- This is my lucky day. I arrive in this big bad city and I not only find a doctor, a beautiful woman as well.
Susan looks into her coffee.


YOUNG MAN (cont'd) I'm sorry, you mind my saying that?

SUSAN Not at all.

YOUNG MAN How 'bout another cup of coffee?

SUSAN I've got patients coming in --

YOUNG MAN And I want to get into my apartment and go to work-- but I'd still like that cup of coffee...

Two pots are warming behind the counter, he reaches over and refills her cup and his. Pushes a container and pitcher to-wards her.

YOUNG MAN (cont'd) I see you use lots of sugar and cream. Me, too...


They smile at each other, fix up their coffee.



LATER...
COFFEE SHOP, YORK CIY, DAY
The place has cleared out now, the counterman busy bussingtables laden with dishes and cups, Susan and the Young Manare still at the counter, but about to leave.


YOUNG MAN ...It's kind of a pro bono job.


SUSAN 'Pro bono'. That means doing good -- Going to be doing good all your life?


YOUNG MAN I know what you're saying. Doesn't pay very well. Depends on the woman I marry. Maybe she'd like a bigger house, a better car, lotsa kids, college doesn't come cheap --
SUSAN You'd give up what you want for the woman you marry?


YOUNG MAN I would.


Susan rises now, the Young Man with her, leaving money for their checks they head for the door.


YOUNG MAN (cont'd) If I married you-- an example--I'd want to give you what you wanted, I know it's old fashioned and all that, but what's wrong with taking care of a woman? She takes care of you.
SUSAN You'll have a hard time finding a woman like that these days --


YOUNG MAN You never know. Lightning could strike.Susan at the door now, pauses abruptly, her eyes on theYoung Man


EXT. COFFEE SHOP, DAY
The Young Man holds the door for Susan as they step outonto the street.Susan is staring at him now, he smiles, all open and vulnerable.

SUSAN I've got to go --

YOUNG MAN Did I say something wrong?


SUSAN No, it was so right it scares me.


YOUNG MAN I've been thinking... I don't want you to be my doctor. Because I don't want you to examine me.


SUSAN Why?


YOUNG MAN Because I like you so much.

(a moment) You have coffee here every morning, don't you? If I came by, could you give me the name of a doctor?
Another moment.

SUSAN Sure, I'll give you the name of a doctor. (a moment) ...And I don't want to examine you.
YOUNG MAN Why not?

SUSAN Because I like you so much. Now I've got to go.

She hurries away down the sidewalk, the Young Man watching her. Now he turns and starts off in the opposite direction.

ANOTHER ANGLE - SUSAN: She looks back at the Young Man, then turns and walks on.

ANOTHER ANGLE - THE YOUNG MAN: He looks back at Susan as the distance between them widens,now he turns and walks on.
ON SUSAN: She looks around once more but the Young Man is still headed in the opposite direction, his back to her. She turns the corner and continues on... He's looking back at her and gets hit by a truck.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

I can't believe I read the whole story - and I can't believe the ending... quite drastic.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Ian Lau said...

Correction: he gets SMOKED by the truck. No contest whatsoever. The sudden shock of the scene reminds me of when Marvin gets his head blown off in Pulp Fic ..but I seem to recall it was a taxi cab that takes out Joe Black.

Claire Forlani is hot tamale in this film ..and she's a doctor to boot. But the cafe scene.. totally scripted. No one talks that smooth.. not even Brad.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Kelley Anne said...

ben: I can't believe it either!

ian: yes,thank you for the correction, he gets smoked. Of course it's scripted... it's a movie! I love it! What's your favourite "cute meet"?!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I watched that on tv for the first time and him getting "smoked" nearly took my breath away. I'm pretty sure I gasped out loud.
I still have to see the whole thing though. :p
There are a lot of "cute meets"...hmmmm...
I can't think of any right now but there are quite a few gooders.

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home