Vital Social Issues n' Stuff with Kelley Anne

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

1996

I've been debating about whether or not I want to post this and usually I don't think that much about what I post (maybe you've noticed that ;) ... it's been on my heart a lot lately.

1996 was the worst, the hardest, the most challenging year of my life. It was so bad that at the end of it I made myself make a list of ten good things that came out of 1996. I like the list. I still have it.

Ten years ago today my friend Jon Benjafield died. He was 18 years old and just a month shy of his 19th birthday. He died suddenly from complications with his heart, at the University of Guelph, in his dorm room in South. I was in my last year of highschool. We were camp friends. We wrote letters through the school year for three years. How I adored him...

His was my first funeral... and it was weird because up until that time that year I had anticipated my mom's funeral being my first.

His death brought to life for me the urgency to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with everyone.

Five Songs from that Time:

1. Kissing You- Des'ree
2. I will Remember You- Sarah McLachlan
3. Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
4. A Long December - Counting Crows
5. I'll Be Missin' You- Puff Daddy and Faith Evans

5 Comments:

Blogger The Barretts said...

That is very sad, Kelley. I remember you telling me about Jon.

I remember all of those songs..has it really been 10 years already?

1:14 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Thanks for the deep thoughts Kelley. I guess everyone has one funeral that they will remember as the most "memoriable" one. Thanks for sharing :)

5:33 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I had a few friend die not much after 96, and at one the song "I will remember you" was played, until very recently I actually had a lot of trouble listening to that song.

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My significant other lost her brother that day. 10 years... wow. Were you in Barrie for the services?

Two more songs from the time:
Ice Cube - Dead Homiez
Tupac - I ain't mad at cha

7:55 PM  
Blogger Kelley Anne said...

I was in Barrie for the services.
And I remember driving home from the funeral all the songs on the radio were like "Tears in Heaven" and "The Rose" and we found a station playing the bittersweet "Fast Car" and were able to sing along.

Other songs: "Tha Crossroads" Bone Thugs N Harmony

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home