Vital Social Issues n' Stuff with Kelley Anne

Monday, November 06, 2006

The Poppy


So it's like November 6th and I've already lost my poppy. I twice stabbed myself with the poppy-- once producing enough blood to warrant a bandaid! My Sunday school girls told me they use safety pins or other such devices with their poppies to avoid such injury. And then I noticed it was gone last night... the full pin was still on my jacket but the flower had disappeared!

I like wearing my Remembrance Day poppy and since moving to Halifax have participated in Remembrance Day events.

But when I think of poppies I'm also reminded of "the poppies" in the musical "The Wiz" (the funky motown version of the "Wizard of Oz"). Those poppies are alluring females dressed in red who sidetrack Dorothy and friends with their feminine charms. When I was in highschool we put on this production... I wasn't a poppy... I was a munchkin!

Which reminds me in highschool it was one of my goals to be part of the Remembrance Day assembly... and I almost acheived it. I was asked to be part of a drama involving correspondence between a newly wed couple- him off at war, her on the homefront... but I never made that assembly. I ended up missing school.

5 Comments:

Blogger SLH said...

You are doing better than me...I have yet to buy a poppy this year. But I'm going to put it on my to do list for tomorrow! Thanks for the reminder. And here is an interesting and random tidbit you never would have guessed. My Dad hates to chuck anything out and he likes to support the veterans. So every year he buys a poppy but never gets rid of them, he stores the ones from past years on the sun visors of his car. He is getting quite the collection!

9:20 PM  
Blogger amarea said...

I think you would be the best munchkin ever, Kelley!!

11:47 PM  
Blogger The Barretts said...

I was a munchkin too! (the Mayor of the munchkin city!)

And,like the Sarah above, I have yet to buy a poppy..yikes!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

why did you miss that assembly?? (am i allowed to ask that question?)

2:39 AM  
Blogger Kelley Anne said...

beth... yes you can ask. The answer is in my latest post.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home