Vital Social Issues n' Stuff with Kelley Anne

Sunday, October 29, 2006

iTunes is Ruining my Life


A few months back a friend hooked me up with iTunes on my computer. I was very thankful (I never would have done it myself; that's how tech clueless I am). I was also very excited and got to work downloading songs-- just 99 cents each! But now I'm wondering...

Is having music I crave so accessible a good thing?

Now I miss the pining over songs... hoping for them on the radio, seeking out the CD... contemplating investing in it and then if I do choose to invest in it experiencing the album in its entirety... hearing a song in a movie or on television and not knowing if I'll ever hear it again and desiring it like crazy... now that sense of anticipation is almost lost... or just 99 cents away...

In the immortal words of B.B. King: The thrill is gone.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kel!

I laughed when I read the part about hoping songs would come on the radio. I used to wait by my radio (set to AM 640) with my tape recorder-- waiting for their "Top 6 At 6", at which point I would put the hand-help microphone up to the radio speakers and record whatever song I was "dying to have," assuming it was popular enough to be played in the Top 6 At 6 of course. In this fashion, I got my first recording of Mr. Big's "To Be With You", circa 1989 or something like this. Of course, I later bought the whole album, but until then, I would listen to that radio recording over and over and over again. "Hold on, little girl, show me what he's done to you... wake up little girl! A broken heart can't be that bad..."

AHHHHH! I LOVE IT!

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, i meant "hand-held" microphone. woops!

4:56 AM  
Blogger It's My DLu! said...

i just bought "hot fuss" by the killers. i'm late, i know. but i enjoy it.

i think iTunes has destroyed my full appreciation of music. i can't seem to enjoy it as long. but actually, i still like it.

7:16 PM  
Blogger SLH said...

I know what you mean...but here is an idea to ponder...would Justin be bringing anything back if it was not for iTunes? maybe we are all in debt to iTunes...just an idea...LOL

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have yet to buy a song with iTunes. There is just something nice about having the Physical CD in my hands and listening to the artists other songs. I think the itunes store has ruined something about listening to music for a generation. Now artists have to write a CD full of singles and radio hits instead of carfully crafting an album into a piece of art as a whole.

Bands like Pink Floyd and Genesis, and countless others have made amazing albums that are works of art on their own. Crafting an album is an art we are seeing less and less of these days.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Kelley Anne said...

lee: I did the exact same thing with the top six at six and Mr. Big... woah?! we are kindred spirits my friend!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i also have bought many itunes songs and albums.
HOWEVER...I don't think I ever will again - despite it being o-so-convenient. The reason being is that when i connect my ipod to Jamie's xbox it won't play the songs I've bought from iTunes because apparently Apple didn't want to partner with Xbox. Boo to Apple. Boo to iTunes.
Anyone know of any other good sites to buy songs from?

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home