Vital Social Issues n' Stuff with Kelley Anne

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Top Five Reasons Celebrities Should be Able to Adopt...

...whoever they want!

1. Children come with their own names and therefore spare both the celebrity parents (pressure to find a unique name/one upping other celebrities) and the child (living with such name) e.g. Prince Michael, Apple, Rocco etc.
2. Even if the child isn't really an orphan wouldn't life with Madonna in the UK be "as good as it gets"?
3. I'm sure celebrities' nannies make wonderful, well-paid parents.
4. The music. There's got to be a "Celebrities for World Adoption" song in the works...
5. This isn't just a trend; remember "Mommy Dearest"... wait... really bad example.
(I'm still afraid of having any wire hangers in my closet!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Chelle / Chel said...

Love it! Very clever blog. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I'm still chuckling over this one ...

Chelle

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you guys are saying a celebrity should not be able to adopt a child because they are a celebrity? Perhaps the childs parents are dead because they died of HIV or were killed from a terrorist bombing or ethnic cleansing. What if the celebrity causes hundreds of other children to be adopted into a good home from "normal" people who are encouraged and follow suit. Just because it's trendy in Hollywood doesn't mean it's a bad thing or that people shouldn't do it. Celebrities are normal people like you and me. I don't think it's right to judge them or tear them down.

Just my 2 cents. -Tim

10:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm...interesting point, Tim. I read in the Globe today that the boy's father was calling down the human rights coalition that is protesting the adoption, saying "where were they when he was without a family in the orphanage?" While Madonna could probably throw money at the situation, it's not always that easy to fix. I don't think the fact that she could have just given a pile of money makes her adopting a child wrong. I wonder if we all would be in such a kerfuffel if this boy was being adopted by blue-collar John and Jane Doe? Probably not.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Kelley Anne said...

tim: it's more the "whoever they want" I'm poking fun at. I think adoption can be a good thing and I also think it can be exploited. I guess I don't like the assumption because you're a celebrity/have money this automatically makes you a good candidate for being a parent.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home